Sit down with your child before school starts and discuss what you both expect for the coming year. Come up with goals and expectations you both feel are manageable. Some questions to discuss are:
- What kinds of grades can you realistically expect?
- How will you measure or reward meeting academic milestones?
- How many times a week will your child be meeting with their EI teacher?
- How much time will be dedicated each day to homework?
- How much homework help can you realistically give your child each week?
- When will you expect them to complete homework—right after school, before dinner, after dinner?
- How many extracurricular activities will they be involved in?
- Is participation in extracurricular activities a reward for good grades or an expectation?